So you want to go wining and dining in Edna Valley? Wine country in Edna Valley is different than anywhere else. Often referred to as the gem of the Central Coast, you’ll find a beautiful and enjoyable cocktail of beach weather and wine here. Here’s an easy how-to guide to the perfect day in this coastal vineyard oasis with plenty of wine tasting and tasty dinner recommendations.
Step One: Preparing
You know what they say, always come prepared! The secret to a successful and fun time in Edna Valley is to plan ahead. Here are some things you’ll definitely want to bring on your adventure in coastal wine country.
- Jackets & Sweaters: The weather changes quickly since Edna Valley is only a couple of minutes from the beach. Mornings sometimes start with a light blanket of fog from the coast; then the afternoons warm up before rapidly cooling in the evenings with the ocean breeze.
- Snacks: Most wine tasting adventures include visits to three wineries. After your second stop, you’ll be ready for some snacks. We recommend crackers, salami, chocolates, and some tasty cheeses.
- Camera: Wine country is gorgeous, especially when everything is green and blooming in spring. You definitely won’t want to miss the excellent opportunity for a photo here.
- Reservations: A lot of the wineries in Edna Valley are boutique wineries creating limited production wines. You’ll want to call ahead to place reservations at the wineries you want to visit.
Step Two: Choosing The Right Wineries
While Edna Valley may be small compared to other wine regions like Paso Robles, or Santa Barbara, there are still plenty of wineries to visit and only so many hours in a day. So it’s important that you find the ones that work best for you. Below are some questions you’ll want to ask yourself before choosing your wineries.
- Am I bringing a dog? There are quite a few wineries in Edna Valley that are dog-friendly, but not all of them. (Click here for dog-friendly wineries.)
- How big is my group that I’m wine tasting with? Some wineries in Edna Valley are small and can only accommodate smaller groups. When you call to make a reservation, don’t forget to ask how big your group can be.
- What kind of wine am I interested in trying? Knowing if you’re looking for red, white, or sparkling wine will help you narrow down your winery options. (Click here for recommendations for red wine.)
Step Three: Wraping It Up With Food
After a long day of wine tasting, nothing hits the spot like an incredible dinner. One of our favorites? Luna Red! You’ll find them in the heart of downtown San Luis Obispo, by a gurgling creek and across from a beautiful Spanish mission built in 1772. If you’re traveling with a larger group, you’ll be delighted to find that their new menu is packed with a wide variety of mouth-watering options. From Chicory & Smoked Salmon to Plantain Tacos, you’ll find a global cuisine awaits (not to mention their phenomenal craft cocktails). Here are some of our recommendations.
- Artisanal Cheese Board – Start your meal with mouth-watering, house-selected cheeses with accompaniments and a baguette.
- Carribbean Curry Mussels – Then dig into Salt Springs Mussles with yellow coconut curry sauce, raYou and your friends can wash it all down with a pitcher of pink bubbles, vodka, passion fruit liqueur, strawberry syrup, sour citrus, and mint. It’s the perfect pick-me-up after a long day!
- Fizzy Lifting Drink (Pitcher) – You and your friends can wash it all down with a pitcher of pink bubbles, vodka, passion fruit liqueur, strawberry syrup, sour citrus, and mint. It’s the perfect pick-me-up after a long day!
View Their Entire Menu – Click Here
Address: 1023 Chorro St, San Luis Obispo
Phone: (805) 540-5243
Embark On An Edna Valley Wine Tour
Embark on an Edna Valley wine tour and explore and wine taste your way through the coastal countryside. Choose from a wide array of comfortable to luxury vehicles to cruise in, from our Limo Bus to our Mercedes Sprinter LandJet. Every wine tour includes a customizable itinerary and door-to-door service. Email Info@SLOSafeRide.com, or fill out the form below for a free transportation quote.