The Central Coast may not experience seasonal changes like other states do, but we sure do get festive! From Paso Robles to Santa Maria, there are numerous events happening each month, giving residents and visitors something to do almost every night of the week. For the active nature-loving community, SLO County hosts outdoor shows and tastings, with indoor concerts if you want to experience the harsh sun rays of fall (we know, it’s rough). Here are five events happening in October that members of our team are stoked about!
Central Coast Air Fest – Join Central Coast AirFest and Central Coast Jet Center for their first annual event at the Santa Maria Airport on Saturday & Sunday, October 6 – 7! Headlining it, of course, Canada’s military aerobatics team, The Snowbirds!
It’s sure to be one heck of a show. This fest will feature local restaurants, breweries, and wineries. Explore our military’s impressive defense aircraft fleet and many other warbirds.
Arroyo Grande Beer Festival – On Saturday, October 13, attend the Third Annual Beer Festival featuring 36 Craft Breweries, 15 local restaurants, and live music! Featured musicians include: Crisp Tones – Classic and Country Rock – and Matt Cross. Compliment your local brew with some of the best grub in SLO County Splash, Central Coast Meat Market, and Jaffa just to name a few. After your day of jamming to live music, take a stroll down Arroyo Grande’s downtown Grand Avenue and visit local shops, restaurants, and bars.
3rd Annual Hard Core Cider Tour Festival- Enjoy unlimited 2oz samples from Worldwide Top Craft Hard Cider makers on October 13, and munch on some of the best local grub! Live music from Georgetown Band will jam all day, and entertain yourselves with jumbo lawn games! This year, they will be raising money for Bike SLO County! Some cideries include: The Good Cider, Bristol’s Cider House, William’s Orchards, Two Broads Ciderworks, See Canyon Cider Company and more! If you are having a cider, don’t be a driver – we can shuttle you and your friends to the Hard Core Cider Tour. Check out a video of last year’s Cider Tour here.
Harvest Wine Weekend – Arguably the best time to visit Paso Robles Wine Country. During the weekend of October 19 – 21, you can visit participating wineries and listen to live music, attend winemaker dinners, barbecues, seminars, ceremonial grape stomps, barrel tastings, and artisan food pairings, check out local art, and more! Enjoy discounted wine tastings at select wineries throughout the weekend, or complimentary glasses when you inquire about special programs. If you plan on partaking, make it both classy and safe with a Luxury Mercedes Sprinter!
These are just a few of the Central Coast’s bigger events in September and October. For weekend events held in specific cities, check out local Business Facebook pages, or Facebook Events, as many wineries host midweek “Sunset in the Vineyards,” hotels host live music and happy hour specials, and other venues, such as the Madonna Inn host Goat Yoga. As always, if you are interested in designating SLO Safe Ride as your driver, give us a call at (805) 620-7233 or visit us at www.slosaferide.com to book a private shuttle! **SLO Safe Ride provides pre-scheduled shuttles to select events – to check these, go to www.slosaferide.com/events/
Pismo Beach Clam Festival & Pier Grand Reopening – Attend one of the largest annual events in Pismo Beach, over three days featuring live bands– the best clam chowder you’ve ever had, various vendors, and family-friendly games! This year will be even more extravagant than previous years because the weekend of October 19 – 21 also marks the GRAND reopening of the iconic Pismo Beach Pier! After 18 months of renovations, the City of Pismo welcomes you to their Pismo Beach Pier Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and Parade to start off the 2018 Clam Festival. This iconic festival also features a Wine Walk on October 19, where downtown businesses will gladly welcome festival goers to taste wine. Most fun of all, on October 21, Pismo Beach restaurants will compete in a blind tasting competition for the title of Best Local Clam Chowder – you get to be the judge! Purchase your tickets here!
Alternatively, here are October events under $20 happening in SLO County:
- October 5th:**FREE** Art After Dark – Downtown SLO – every first Friday of the month, take a stroll through downtown SLO to meet artists, enjoy art exhibits, and connect with new people! Some businesses give complimentary snacks as well. – Download the map available a few days before Art After Dark.
- October 6th **FREE**: Morro Bay Harbor Festival – Morro Bay Embarcadero – Participate in a Hawaiian Shirt Contest, Oyster Eating Contenst, and a Drum Class Demonstration.
- October 7th: **FREE** Jam Session @ Bristols Cider – Atascadero – Love music and cider? Bristols Cider House hosts a jam session with talented musicians every first Sunday of the month! Grab a pint, listen to local music, or join in yourself!
- October 7th:**FREE** Art in the Park – Shell Beach – this event occurs every first Sunday of the month, featuring over 100 local artists and craftsmen who display and sell their artwork. These items range from paintings to cultures to textiles, metal furniture and more! There is also live music and hands-on children’s activities.
- October 13th: San Luis Music Festival – SLO – Food, beer, and wine will be available for purchase while you listen to bands including: Tipsy Gypsies, Cuesta Ridge, and Jody Mulgrew. Booths from organizations, vendors, and businesses around the county will also attend this festival. Pre-sale tickets are $15, and will be $20 at the door. Student tickets are available to purchase for a discount. All proceeds fuel a progressive future!
- October 20th: Oceanfront Yoga Flow – Pismo Beach – join the Inn at the Cove every Saturday for oceanfront yoga! No better view and calming nature to meditate and get into the groove. Each class is $10 from 10am – 11am, and is described as active/intermediate. Beginner oceanfront yoga is also available on Tuesdays & Thursdays.
- October 21st: **FREE** Ranger Led Hike – San Luis Obispo – discover a new trail in Irish Hills and learn about the Geology of the area. This hike will be led by the City of SLO Rangers and Cal Poly Geography professor, Scott Johnston. Reserve your spot here!
- October 27th: Halloween Carnival & Haunted Maze – Arroyo Grande – Carnival admission is $5 for children and $2 for accompanying adult. Bring the family and get ready for a thrill!
- October 28th: *FREE to spectate, $25 to ENTER** Third Annual Haoleween Surf Competition – Morro Rock – Hosted by Libertine Brewing Company, this special surf event includes, you guessed it– costumes!! This contest is judged on the spirit of traditional longboarding and includes prizes for the best performance, best costume, best party wave, and best burn. Feel free to spectate at the Rock, or enter in the competition.
With hundreds of events happening in San Luis Obispo County, it’s easy to be indecisive on which to attend. Check out local events on Facebook to see updated information from local businesses! Wineries, hotels, and restaurants host a variety of activities throughout the week and weekends. If you’re interested in spending more time outside, check out the Adventure Aide App for local adventures and tours of San Luis Obispo County.